As a savoury type, I prefer savoury breakfasts. (Don’t hate me, I can’t help myself).
But pancakes are the only type of sweet breakfast I will choose over and over again. Also, you can make them healthy or indulgent. Top them up with fresh fruit, nut butter, nuts, seeds, chocolate, maple syrup, even vegan bacon if you fancy. Literally, the options are endless.
So I decided to make a chocolate version of that recipe and also add a vegan protein powder.
- Protein powder – Protein powder is what makes these pancakes protein pancakes. As mentioned, I’m using dark cocoa-flavoured GaiaMeal vegan protein, but feel free to use any protein powder you have on hand. As long as it’s chocolate flavoured.
- Oat flour + almond flour – To make it more healthy than standard white flour pancakes, I decided to use a mix of oat flour and almond flour. There is no need to get store-bought oat flour if you have a blender at home. Just blend a cup of oats and turn it into flour, TIP: I always blend some extra and store it in a separate container so I have it on hand. Also, oat flour creates the creamiest oatmeals ever
- Cocoa powder – Cocoa powder will give that extra chocolaty flavour to your delicious pancakes.
Without further ado, let’s bake!
- 1 cup oat flour (blend oats to make oat flour)
- 1/4 cup almond flour (see notes if you don’t have almond flour)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 scoop GaiaMeal protein powder (dark cocoa)
- 1 cup plant based milk (add more if needed)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- a pinch of salt
- Add the milk and the apple cider vinegar to a bowl, mix and set aside to form buttermilk. (Let it sit for 10-15min or until you notice the curdled bits)
- Whilst waiting for that, mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- When your ‘buttermilk’ is ready, combine the wet and dry mixtures.
- Heat a non stick frying pan and ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter and cook until bubbles start to form.
- Flip the pancake and cook for another minute.
Repeat the steps until you finish the batter (it serves 6 pancakes)
- Top it up with fresh fruit, more maple syrup, nut butters, more chocolate, plant based yoghurt, quinoa puffs, seeds etc.
Almond flour – in case you don’t have almond flour on hand, use 1 1/4 cup of oat flour only
If You Are On Iphone, Android Or Your Desktop Computer, Go To Your Facebook Profile RIGHT NOW And Search "GaiaTribe Community" And Request To Join!